Saturday, July 09, 2005

Stony Spells

"Take a true object-oriented language, such as Smalltalk. Drop the unfamiliar syntax and move to more conventional, file-based source code. Now add in a good measure of the flexibility and convenience of languages such as Python and Perl. You end up with Ruby. "

Don't look at my previous post and say that I am very fickle minded and keep changing languages. After all, programming languages are just ways to direct processes in a computer. As I am writing this, I am reminded of this definition from the SICP book:

"Computational processes are abstract beings that inhabit computers. As they evolve, processes manipulate other abstract things called data. The evolution of a rocess is directed by a pattern of rules called a program. People create programs to direct processes. In effect, we conjure the spirits of the computer with our spells."

The bottomline is that, I am trying to learn a new kind of spell - a spell of a precious stone.
I am just curious, people are praising ruby so much. Will try it out.
But it looks like, lisp has taken a very high place in my list of languages. By the way, I have some near-successful experiments in lisp. Will post them when they mature. Learning Ruby might actually help me go closer to lisp.
For the time-being, Ruby, here I come.

No comments: